Important Information from the District
Join students from across the district as they help eradicate polio by taking part in the international World Polio Day! High schools and universities across our district are getting ready to help stomp out polio, once and for all. Our Interacts and Rotaracts have been busy planning awareness and fundraising events in their areas. If you have the opportunity, be sure to stop by and support their events! Here are some of the events going on around our district during the week of October 20-26. It is easy to see that the future of Rotary is in good hands.
Harlingen High School Interact Club will be making boxes and purple ribbon pins for collection at high school. After announcing the project, they will take donations and in exchange, donors receive a purple ribbon. Club members will also be at the football game—Homecoming 10/3/14 and will have a Polio Purple ribbon donation. In addition, they are planning a ‘Pennies for Polio Project’ with elementary schools.
Marine Military Academy Interact Club is going to do a fundraiser to raise $500.00 for Polio and a Facebook awareness of what Rotary International has done for the eradication attempts for Polio.
Rio Hondo Interact Club will be doing a Loose Change Pick Up for Polio
Harlingen High School South Interact Club will be conducting a Pennies for Polio Project-October 17-Oct. 23.
Robstown High School Interact Club will be collecting money with a purple pinky day event for polio awareness during lunch on Friday October 17th as well as at their home game that evening.
Calallen High School Interact Club will be hosting a "purple pinky" day event during the lunch hour during the entire week of October 20-24 for Polio Awareness. They will also have another purple pinky event at the football game on Friday, October 24th.
Flour Bluff Interact Club will be doing a Purple Pinkies fund raiser on October the 18th at Walmart.
J. W. Nixon High School Interact Club will be holding a Bucket Brigade at the high school during the lunch hour from October 20-24, 2014 in order to promote Polio Plus and raise funds to help eradicate polio from the face of the earth.
St. Augustine High School Interact Club is planning the following activities:
- Monday, October 20, 2014: 2:00 p.m. Student Assembly: An assembly will be held with two speakers -- one from The Laredo Rotary Club and the other is an individual who had polio.
- Tuesday, October, 21, 2014: Purple Ribbon Awareness Day: Students will wear a purple T-shirt with school bottoms and pay $1 to have purple ribbons placed on their shirts with a needle or pin.
- Wednesday, October 22, 2014: Purple Pinkies Day: Individuals' pinkies will be painted purple for a $1.00 donation, and they will leave their finger print on a poster with their names on it.
- Thursday, October 23, 2014: Purple Cupcakes Sale Day.
- Friday, October 24, 2014: Field Day: Students will wear jeans, instead of their school uniforms, and participate in field day events to highlight the importance of remaining healthy and completely eradicating polio from the face of the earth.
TAMU-CC Rotaract Club is planning a Purple Pinkies event.
Texas A&M-IU Rotaract Club is planning the following events:
BEFORE Polio Plus week, they will be posting a “digital announcement” on Collegiate Link with a catchy title like “Purple Week is Coming…get involved”. This announcement will be posted four weeks before the Polio Plus week. In addition, they are posting of flyers around campus and on Collegiate Link with a schedule of activities for the week and a short paragraph defining the mission of the campaign.
Polio Plus week:
- Monday, October 20, 2014: 11:00AM-2:00PM. POP POLIO OUT. Distribution of purple popcorn bags in a highly visible location in the university quad. A tent will be set up and flyers will be distributed to make students aware of our purpose. An instagram hashtag will be promoted for students to submit their pictures throughout the week.
- Tuesday, October, 21, 2014: 11:00AM-2:00PM. TIE THE BOND. Same location. Set up will consist of a tent and tables with beads and bracelet making kits so students make their own bracelet.
- Wednesday, October 22, 2014: 6:00PM-7:30PM. During our regular meeting, a polio survivor will speak to the members about the impact polio had in her personal and professional life. Purple cupcakes will be distributed to the members.
- Thursday, October 23, 2014: Main Event. Wear purple shirt day. In collaboration with other student organizations, a festival has been planned with a number of games. List of games will be provided later on. This is a fundraising event,
- Friday, October 24, 2014: 11:00AM-2:00PM. TASTE THE END OF POLIO. Location still not yet determined. Students will wear distribute purple lollipops and will distribute flyers with information. A powerpoint with pictures from the previous four days will be displayed.
District Rotary Day Event is another great opportunity for Rotarians to help. The event includes a 5K glow in the dark run and street party, in Victoria at 6pm on October 25, to raise awareness of polio. For more information, check out the link below.
- Construct Playgrounds
- Feed the Hungry
- Honor our Veterans
- Build Dog Parks
- Clothe Mothers and Children
- Fight to End Polio
- Beautify our Parks
- Teach Children How to Read
- Provide Access to Homes
- Promote Adoption Awareness
- Give Humanitarian Relief
- Educate the Next Generation through Leadership Programs
Ready for 2014-2015 ??
Hopefully these tasks and activities have been completed to start the next Rotary year.
- Presidents, Officers and Directors appointed, elected and installed.
- Presidents, Officers and Directors entered into the district website, so they can receive the notices and information from the district and RI. This is a function available to the current officers (may also be the 2013-2014 officers if you didn't do this before June 30, 2014) by logging into the district website at www.rotary5930.org. If your club has ClubRunner, then entering the information there will allow the names to migrate to the district. If you enter the information at RI through My Rotary, it will NOT migrate down.
- Your Club Does not use ClubRunner - Here is the link to the help page that describes the process for adding Officer and director positions in ClubRunner, the software we use for the District site. http://clubrunner.helpserve.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/113/318/specify-my-executives-and-directors
- Your Club does use ClubRunner - Here is the link to the help page that describes the process for adding Officer and director positions in ClubRunner. http://clubrunner.helpserve.com/Knowledgebase/List/Index/173/edit-current-executives--directors